Bookmark and Share

Get At Us On The Social Networks

Welcome!

Welcome to Legion Music & Media
Scroll down for media, interviews and articles
Feel free to comment, inquire, or just plain out enjoy...

Subscribe in a reader

Also note: Legion Music & Media (legionmnm.com), house to producer's, Legion Of Beats. A full fledged digital media and consulting company, including International: *Distribution *Marketing, *Promotions *Consulting *Placement and *Songwriting services
Also: *A&R and Production sourcing
*Deliverance
contact: services@legionmnm.com


Warning: this site may contain material considered offensive to some.

Mixtape Madness 2

Monday, February 4, 2008

Black History~Interview with T-West

Yes yes, Mr. West. Finally we get the time to discuss somethings of importance. I know you are a mad-busy person with lots of things on your agenda. We appreciate the time you have taken to conduct this interview. So...

Legion of Beats Media~ Tell us about the black history song/video that's been circulating around the net, what inspired you to do the song?



T-West: I actually made that song a while back, in the song it says "28 in 2006" which is when I actually wrote the song, and it was also on my "Even More Developed" mixtape that came out July 2007. But as far as inspiration, it was always disappointing that during Black History Month in high school, black kids were always the least interested - I don't blame em though, schools usually always had some corny ceremonies trying to praise these black leaders like they really gave two shits. So I made the song and the video, just something that a lot of kids out there would be interested in hearing, and teach em at the same time.

Legion of Beats Media~ 28 in 2006?

T-West: In the song itself, like before it ends, I actually mention 28 black leaders for the 28 days in February 2006

Legion of Beats Media~ Very clever. Briefly, why do you think our youts lack interest in learning about our history?

T-West: A lot of the youts don't care, that's for sure. And when the schools impose it on us, you feel like a special needs kid during those ceremonies, like - "this is the only time you guys ever really care about any of these people?". But it's not like a lot of these black kids are out researching their history either - Everybody know Tookie but nobody know Marcus Garvey?

Legion of Beats Media~ lol, I hear u, Do you believe its more of our parents responsibility to teach us our history as opposed to schools/governments and do you think the system portrays an accurate or realistic account of our history?

T-West: That's an essay right there, haha. Really, it's all about the kids man. If they're interested in their history, they can research it. It's 2008 and we live in a North American society - Library is free, and internet is full of knowledge. Nobody is stopping em from learning about our black history.

Legion of Beats Media~ How has the response been to the video, and who actually put it together?

T-West: Response has been decent. Why I say decent? Because everybody whose seen it loves it, but not enough people are seeing it. It's sad that I'm logging onto hip-hop sites, and we got new "crank that's" on the front page, but a song like this gets disposed of as junk mail when submitted. I put together myself - as well as produced the beat for the song - and rapped on it.

Legion of Beats Media~ WOW, impressive! Its sad like you say that its not given the exposure that it deserves, that's a reflection of the priorities of our people. Would you agree with that statement? And if so, what keeps you persisting?

T-West: Of course. I'm just like the next man, when I go to the club, I definitely do not want to hear "Black History Month" - and I do not expect DJ's and promoters to put up a big video screen and play the video in the club. But places like: Internet blogs, hip-hop sites - places that are devoted to promoting new, good, and creative hip-hop...I find it sad how they won't give the video any attention. And really, some days I wonder what keeps me going myself. This rap shit is really like a drug man, I'll even say music in general - once you start doing it, it's VERY hard to stop. Very few things beat the joy that you get when you hear your songs on radio, or see the crowd really get involved in one of your shows.

Legion of Beats Media~There has been a lot of controversy around the new "black" high-school opening in 2009 in the city. What are your thoughts on it?

T-West: While I think what they are trying to accomplish is great, and it's definitely exciting to see focus and light being shed on a majority of kids failing in the school system - I do not see (an) all black school as the way out. A lot of black people might not agree with my views, but I think more focus should be put on community development, rather than building these schools. Like - When I look at it (and this is only my opinion), it's kind of a step backwards. What? we're not good enough to make it through the school curriculum that we have right now? Asian kids, brown kids, and whoever else gotta learn about the same European history that we all do, and they seem to be doing just fine.

Legion of Beats Media~ And funny enough, blacks from Africa don't seem to have that problem... perhaps they know more a bout themselves than we do...

T-West: It's not the school board failing the kids, it's what we've come to know as "black culture" - meaning heavy emphasis on material possessions, and sometimes discouraging our own people who strive to go to school, and learn, and outcast them as "being white." Actually, with your last comment..lemme change "black culture" to "North American black culture." When we are able to change the stereotype that being ignorant is cool, and that studying for your exam is cooler than watching the latest Passa Passa DVD, then we'll be able to excel in the school system. And on how we can do that, I got some views, but that's a whole other interview.

Legion of Beats Media~Is there anyone you would like to thank for helping you become the (aware) person you are today?

T-West: Well, I don't have any particular people. But there's a book that I just finished reading that DEFINITELY will bring some knowledge to the people - "Enter The Babylon System", I recommend for everybody to go out and read that.

Legion of Beats Media~So tell us a bit about T-West, the artist. what project(s) are you working on these days?

T-West: My first album is all I'm basically working on music-wise nowadays. I have other business ventures that I've been working on, which kind of limits my music time, but the album is being made, definitely liking what I have so far.

Legion of Beats Media~ So what we should we expect from your album?

T-West: It's really a heavy reflection of me and things I've been enduring in my life for the past few years. Definitely a heavy range of topics touched. I don't wanna get too much into it, but there's going to be some songs on there that have people bugging out.

Legion of Beats Media~Nice, looking forward to it! Anything else you would like to add in closing?

T-West: Knowledge Is Power.

FOR MORE T-WEST VISIT: THISISWEST

DISCUSSION ON BLACK FOCUSED SCHOOLS live from WWW.CRACKHOUSERADIO.COM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His comment bout black history month in schools is some truthful shit would suck if the school aint do anythin but the purpose of a black history month celebration is to educate and get interested. imagine a st patricks day celebration and the ppl aint give two shits or know bout st patricks day. i can tell u frustrated young blood from the way u speakin, keep grindin, theres light at the end of the road for ya.

Hip-Hop Album Releases

Stones Throw Podcast

CHIVATO'S LOUNGE